Fairmount Congregational church was founded in 1897 and originally met on the campus of what was then known as Fairmount College (now Wichita State University). In 1910, the church moved to 1655 N. Fairmount Street, three blocks south of the campus, and remained at that location until December 2018.
Many leaders in the church came from the higher education community a students, faculty, and staff made up a large share of the congregation for a long time. Generous donors from within the congregation set aside legacy gifts to provide scholarships to students seeking higher education and that tradition continues today.
Fairmount United Church of Christ and Pilgrim United Church of Christ came together in 2019 to from the Wichita United Church of Christ, and we are proud to carry on this important work.